Sunday, February 19, 2017

Animals in their habitat: Acorn Woodpeckers in Madera Canyon


 Acorn Woodpeckers in Madera Canyon. The creek was running underground at the time, as it does during longer and longer periods each year now. When water is a limiting factor, artificial water sources become a big draw for wildlife.
Acorn Woodpeckers don't just look like clowns. As the only social woodpecker species (that I am aware of) they are given to a lot of very entertaining antics from the human point of view. And they are smart. I'm sure these two were discussing the idiot who had closed the valve so tightly
The old little drinking fountain at the Lodge fell victim to the parking lot extensions years ago. The dated Tucson-insider title was 'CAP' Water?' An engineer from Tucson Water bought the painting

2 comments:

  1. I love these water colors, Margarethe. Are you still planning to be at the Green Valley art show in Continental Plaza in mid-March? I'm looking forward to buying some of your small works there if so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy, Thank you!
    Yes, I will be at the Green Valley show in March. I am looking forward to meeting you there. If you are particularly interested in certain pieces, you may want to let me know to make sure that I bring them!

    ReplyDelete